Ecosystem services are the goods and services from nature that deliver benefits to human wellbeing. They deliver nature products, regulate the environment and make people experience spiritual and aesthetic values. Therefore, a great need exists to guard the sustainability of their delivery through good nature management. Ecosystem services could be a good tool to discover relevant stakeholders and improve the link between site management on the one hand, and businesses, policy makers, governments (at different levels), and citizens on the other. Ecosystem services can be mapped, categorized, assessed and valued; and trade offs can be made with regard to their sustainable delivery. These are also the objective of the EU-biodiversity strategy.
Read more about ecosystem services.
Links to additional information
- GIZ: Why biodiversity and ecosystem services matter to socioeconomic growth in South-East Europe
- Naeem, S., Ingram, J. C., Varga, A., Agardy, T., Barten, P., Bennett, G., ... & Ching, C. (2015). Get the science right when paying for nature's services. Science, 347(6227), 1206-1207.
- Neugarten, R.A., Langhammer, P.F., Osipova, E., Bagstad, K.J., Bhagabati, N., Butchart, S.H.M., ... & Willcock, S. (2018). Tools for measuring, modelling, and valuing ecosystem services: Guidance for Key Biodiversity Areas, natural World Heritage Sites, and protected areas. Gland, Switzerland: IUCN. x + 70pp.
- Anzaldua, G., Gerner, N., Hinzmann, M., Beyer, S., Lago, M., Birk, S., ... & Amorós, J. (2016). Framework for evaluating changes in ecosystem services. Part A: DESSIN Cookbook. Technical Report for Deliverable 11.2 of the DESSIN FP7 Project. Available online on: https://dessin-project. eu.
- Hughes, F. M., Adams, W. M., Butchart, S. H., Field, R. H., Peh, K. S. H., & Warrington, S. (2016). The challenges of integrating biodiversity and ecosystem services monitoring and evaluation at a landscape-scale wetland restoration project in the UK. Ecology and Society, 21(3).
- Alexander, S., Aronson, J., Whaley, O., & Lamb, D. (2016). The relationship between ecological restoration and the ecosystem services concept. Ecology and society, 21(1).
- Neugarten, R. A., Langhammer, P. F., Osipova, E., Bagstad, K. J., Bhagabati, N., Butchart, S. H., ... & Ivanić, K. Z. (2018). Tools for measuring, modelling, and valuing ecosystem services.
- Costanza, R., De Groot, R., Braat, L., Kubiszewski, I., Fioramonti, L., Sutton, P., ... & Grasso, M. (2017). Twenty years of ecosystem services: how far have we come and how far do we still need to go?. Ecosystem services, 28, 1-16.